- The Longest Suspension Bridge in the World: Japan’s Greatest Engineering Feat?Posted 1 year ago
- 5 Interesting Facts About Dreams You Didn’t KnowPosted 1 year ago
- 10 Most Dangerous Active Volcanoes Around The WorldPosted 1 year ago
Apartment Dogs: 10 Low Maintenance Dogs for Apartment Dwellers
Whether you live in big city or a midsize town, if you reside in an apartment or are thinking about moving to one but still want to get a dog, there are some breeds that will do better than others.
Many dogs are quite adaptable and there are a number of low maintenance dogs that will do well in an apartment environment. While some people may think smaller dogs make better apartment dogs, that is not always the case. It is important to note that just because a dog is small doesn’t mean he will be well-suited for apartment living. Many small dogs are quite vocal, making them unsuitable for apartment dwelling. However, there are a number of small dogs that are trainable and just looking to please, making it easy to curb the annoying barking!
Breeds of dogs that need a lot of time and space outdoors will most likely not make the best apartment dogs, so it is important to do your research before bringing a dog home to your apartment to ensure a happy living situation for everyone involved.
From pure bred dogs to mutts, this list of the best dog breeds for apartments may help you make a decision that will suit both you and the animal. Many dogs possess a laidback personality and just need love and attention, not necessarily a huge outdoor playground or demanding exercise needs.
Take a look at our list of the best dog breeds for apartments, some of them may surprise you!
1.Yorkshire TerrierA small dog breed that’s perfect for apartment living, Yorkies are tiny enough to share a small space with you and are very adaptable. Known for their friendly personality, Yorkies will charm all your neighbors and get along great with other pets. It should be noted that some Yorkies are prone to barking, but because of their highly intelligent nature, this can easily be curbed with the right training.
2. PugThe pint-sized Pug is a great, low maintenance dog appropriate for any living situation. Pugs are playful, adventurous, and really quite hilarious. But more importantly, Pugs are extremely adaptable to any environment and lifestyle. Whether they are relaxing at home or going for a walk, Pugs are content to just be your companion. They are highly affectionate and loyal and will be happy to just lay around your apartment all day.
3. French BulldogOne of the best dog breeds for apartments, Frenchies typically weigh less than 28 pounds and are quiet in nature. Their short coat is easily cared for and comes in a variety of colors. These dogs don’t require a lot of exercise, but will need an air-conditioned, comfortable apartment in the hot summer months because their pushed-in snout makes them susceptible to heat-related issues. Frenchies are not known to bark and are happy just relaxing at home on the most comfortable seat in the house!
4. Cavalier King Charles SpanielOne of the friendliest breeds around, Cavaliers are great apartment dogs because they will get along with neighbors and animals alike. An easygoing breed, Cavaliers are happy as long as they have a comfy lap to rest their head and can be taken on daily walks. At 13 to 18 pounds, the majority of these dogs are quiet, but some may show their protective nature at times with their bark.
5. GreyhoundThis one may come as a surprise, but Greyhounds are one of the best dog breeds for apartments because of their low maintenance, adaptable nature. Often referred to as ‘canine couch potatoes’, Greyhounds do well in a more sedentary lifestyle.
Even through they are race dogs, Greyhounds are pretty laidback and don’t need much more than a stroll around the block. Another bonus is that this breed doesn’t tend to bark much and their grooming needs are minimal, making them a perfect fit for apartment dwelling.
6. Basset HoundWhile the bulky stature of the Basset Hound (they weigh around 60 pounds) may seem like apartment living wouldn’t be the best for them, they are a very calm breed who are easily kept busy with treats and toys. Basset Hounds also enjoy a lot of petting and a place to relax, making them easily adaptable to any environment.
7. HavaneseThese small dogs are cheerful, affectionate,and adaptable to any living situation. While they are playful, they are not ‘yappy’ dogs and will burn plenty of calories charging around your apartment. These dogs do, however, require a lot of grooming attention, but if you don’t mind that, they could be the perfect apartment dog for you.
8. English BulldogThe larger relative of the French Bulldog, these dogs weigh around 49 to 55 pounds but are quite comfortable in small spaces. Underneath their frowning face, Bulldogs are good-natured and extremely lovable. They won’t require much exercise, only needing a short walk in the cool mornings or evenings. However, these dogs are prone to heat-related collapse and will need to reside in an air-conditioned environment.
9. PekingeseThis small dog breed hails from China and while they may have a reputation as a snob, they are actually very affectionate, adaptable, and a quiet companion. Pekingese do not need a lot of exercise, but they will require tons of love. Perfect apartment dogs, Pekingese are just fine with snoozing all day while you’re at work. They also make great watchdogs because of their vigilant nature, an added bonus!
10. Great DaneThe last dog on our list of the best dog breeds for apartments is the Great Dane, perhaps another surprising choice. While Great Danes are also one of the largest dog breeds, (typically weighing between 100 and 130 pounds) they love laying around and you may have to fight them for a spot on the couch. Not only do these dogs have an extremely calm demeanor, but they are friendly, trainable, and quiet, making them a good choice for most apartments.